After my son hit his one month marked, I noticed he was pooping as frequently as he used to. This happend around the time we changed his formula from similac to emfamil - I breastfeed for the most part but sometimes we give him alittle formula so we assumed it had too much iron and made him constipated. We tried diluted prune juice, apple juice, and some gripe water for the gas. He finally went - a big sticky one- but since then he doesn't go that often. Today makes six days since his last poop, in between freaking out and calling his dr. - who suggested water with a teaspoon of brown sugar - i figured i would search the web for some answers.
As it turns out its common for breastfed babys not to go that often... here are a few things i found parents on the web were saying:
After 1 month
At least 6 - 8 wet diapers each day (urine is pale with no odour)
May have fewer bowel movements and can vary. Baby may poop once a day or every 7 to 10 days - Mustard yellow, loose
Ref: Baby's First Food - Breastfeeding
My infant is not pooping...?
Don't freak out...its normal for an infant to go up to 4 days without a bowel movement.
My pediatrician said that after day 4, you can start mixing karo syrup in with water or breastmilk in a bottle and give it to the baby and it will make baby go.
If you dont feel comfortable doing that, you can always take her temp rectally or use a q-tip with vasaline to stimulate her anal glands, or you can take a bulb and fill it with warm water...lube up the end with baby oil or vaseline and give her a baby enema. Good luck!
Mama of 2
No poop, very gassy!
1) have you tried tummy massage for the gas? dr. sears suggests doing an I LOVE YOU pattern for massage in his baby book. so you might check that out. the book also has a great section on other tips for relieving gas.
Help: 4 DAYS AND NO POOP FOR BF BABY!
1) One time about a month ago my little guy went 8 days without pooping. I was so worried but my nurse said that it was perfectly normal and as long as it doesn't come out hard and dry he is fine. Breastfed babies absorb so much of the milk that sometimes there isn't much left.
2) You can try to lay her on her back and do bicycle motions with her legs. I was told that helps with gas. You could also try rubbing her belly firm but not hard. Nursing really is the best thing. Will she let you nurse her when she is in that mood? I hope she feels better soon!!
3) My son went a few days without pooping and I freaked out. I called the nurses hotline and then his doctor. The nurse told me to give him some apple juice or pear juice (which Khalil LOVED) and she also told me to put him in the tub with 3oz of table salt for 20 mintues (which I didn't do because the juice helped). My doctor told me to add Rice Cereal in his formula. The nurse said that the iron in the formula sometimes makes babies constipated. So you may want to ask your doctor if it's time to change formula. Khalil is on Ismil Soy Advanced with Iron how about you?
4) One time about a month ago my little guy went 8 days without pooping. I was so worried but my nurse said that it was perfectly normal and as long as it doesn't come out hard and dry he is fine. Breastfed babies absorb so much of the milk that sometimes there isn't much left.